Skip to main content

Fun, No Speed Required






These days, car manufacturers are all under the misconception that speed is the defining element to making their cars good. Take, for example, the new Hyundai Genesis R-Spec. Since when does Hyundai make tire-smoking, fire-breathing sedans? Last time I checked, the Korean car company’s primary focus has been to make cars that look exactly the same as Mercedes. Their cars have been as unique as a high-school student, yet over time, they have earned the trust of people – and their wallets – by being persistent and actually making half-decent cars. So, now, by doing what they do best - copying - they have created a knock-off super saloon, just like every other car manufacturer out there. BMW has the unparalleled M5, Mercedes, the beefed up E55 AMG, and so on and so forth. Hyundai wants to be the “new kid on the block”, and they might very well be, but that’s not the point. Manufacturers are thinking that the more horsepower they stuff into a car, the better it will be overall. Horsepower is an entertaining thing, but it is not the most important element in a car. So many cars these days keep the driver so disconnected from the driving experience that the driver resorts to more entertaining things, such as texting, or talking on the phone. Instead of trying to cram in every last bit of horsepower into their cars, manufacturers should turn their attention to making their vehicles fun and involving to drive.
I drive a 5-speed 1995 Ford Mustang GT Convertible, the “last” year of 5.0 liter engine, and many of you will be thinking that, well, that too is a fast car, but this is very untrue, and it kills me to say that there are many hatchbacks and sedans out on the road which are faster than my ‘stang. But one department I know they do not exceed in over my car is in the fun department. I have an aftermarket exhaust on my car, and the reason I am not providing more details as to what type it is, is because that is literally all I know about it. But, boy does it sound biblical, and every time I press the accelerator a little more than I should, it puts a huge smile on my face. It may sound childish, but I’m sure many car enthusiasts know what I mean. The 5-speed keeps me involved, and the laughable simplicity of the Mustang’s suspension provides good entertainment. The whole car shakes and rattles on any surface that isn’t glass smooth, and the ride quality has given me several concussions before. This, of course, is not helped by my low-profile tires, but without them, my Mustang would look pitiful. But I don’t care about any of these discomforts or imperfections, I wouldn’t care if I somehow contracted AIDS from driving it, because it has provided so much fun over the two years I have had it, that all of its problems have become unimportant. Any car which provides more fph (fun-per-hour for those that don’t know…) than mph, will be the one I go for every time, and that's the point I think today's car manufacturers are missing. Excessive horsepower doesn't make a car better, because think about it, there are only a few places on the streets where one can use all of an M5's 560hp, yet there are way more places where I can use all of my Mustang's 215hp (around 230 because of modifications I have done). And driving a car near its limits is when driving really becomes fun. Fph over mph, any day of the week. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Love About My Subaru BRZ

             E verything. The End.        No, but really. I love everything about the car. But that’s not the end of it. It doesn’t mean there aren’t certain things which I like more than others. For example, the steering. I love the steering. Everything from the tactual feel of the wheel itself to the feedback I get when I turn it. To me, it feels just right. It doesn’t feel artificially weighted, nor is it one-finger twirlable (yes, that’s a word starting now). I love it more than I love the engine, but it doesn’t mean the engine is bad. It took a bit of time to accept the fact that it has no low-end torque. I’ll never be able to rip through the gears like I used to in my Z28, but use the FA20 boxer engine right, and in the BRZ’s lightweight body, it’s just about acceptable. The fact that it makes all of its power right before redline is exciting. Get it above 5k rpm’s and the car pulls harder and harder until the shift point.        I also love the seats. In Limited spec

Kelley Blue Book - The Antichrist of The Used Car Market

I know, this is just my second post, and instead of being happy and celebrating the many positive sides of the automotive industry, I'm going to start talking about something that has been bothering me for quite a while now. Ever heard of the site Kelley Blue Book? Well it's a f**king awful thing, and it has absolutely ruined the used car market. What has happened to the time when people could buy proper used cars, with low miles, for $1-2,000? Now, with the existence of KBB, people are selling their cars for an extremely high price, just because a stupid website spits out random numbers based off of some algorithms. In addition, these prices are mainly intended for insurance companies, so that in case of an incident, the insurance can know what the damaged cars were worth. Sadly, though, anyone, no matter how small his car knowledge is, can try selling his exhausted and worn out car for an absurdly high price, just because KBB produced some number based on a couple of vague

Those who announce their positive traits rarely possess them

Tap the Instagram icon on your phone screen. Scroll through profiles and see so many of the users self-proclaiming their honesty, genuineness, and humility. You sit there thinking "Wow, what a great time we live in. There are so many good and self-aware people out there!". So many users actively "voicing" their opinions via "liking" and re-"sharing" other's posts relating to immigration rights, anti-political views, LGBTQ rights, police brutality, humility, honesty, the list goes on and on. Now, I'm not a sociologist by profession, but from my observations and through countless personal experiences, I can say with almost certainty that those who display that kind of behavior are in reality the exact opposite. Liking a positive message or disliking a negative one on social media in no way reflects on one's personal actions. Liking an activist's message doesn't make you an activist. Saying you are good doesn't make you good.