Skip to main content

Are My Car Ownership Habits Unveiling My Relationship Habits?

        Cars. Driving. Girls. Love. Six cars and three motorcycles in five years. I did the math for you and it comes out to a change in vehicle every 6.66 months. I assume the Devil finds this amusing, because I feel like I’m possessed with some inexplicable thing which literally makes it impossible for me to commit to a car for long periods of time, and that worries me. Is this foreshadowing an inability for me to commit to anything, or anyone? No. Of course not. Cars are a soulless piece of metal which cost money and can’t talk, love, or do anything on their own. They are there to transport a driver from one place to another, whether it be quickly, luxuriously, a combination of the two, or neither. Cars cannot be compared to women, love, nor relationships. Or can they? Can the process of becoming an owner of a new car be likened to the process of going into a relationship with someone? Wait a minute…
        So, one day, say I’m going down a street and all of a sudden a car catches my eye. I’d instinctively take a second glance and say something along the lines of “wow, that car is amazing, I’d like to own it”. My reaction is much the same as if a girl of my taste walks past me. I’d take a second glance, and - because I’m not a degenerate - instead of blurting out loud some stupid remark and making an ass of myself, I’d think to myself “wow, she’s really pretty, I’d like to get to know her”. The next stages are even more similar. With the car, I’d go to the respective dealership and familiarize myself with the car, sit in it, and acquaint myself with as much as possible, much like meeting the girl I visually liked. I’d talk to her and get a general feel of who she is, and, within a short period of time, I’d know if the interest in a second get together was there.  Similarly with the car, odds are I couldn’t take in enough about it from my first checking of it, so I’d come in a second time and make sure everything that I liked the first time still appealed to me, and hopefully, I’d find even more to like. If so, I’d fall in love with it and purchase it. Now, I’m not saying that I fall in love after seeing a girl twice. No. Unless she is godsend, it doesn’t happen that way. With a girl the process takes longer, but the similarities with how the process unfolds between the two are undeniably present. Two people meet, and if they keep finding things that they like about each other minus a few hiccups, the bond increases and they end up in a relationship.
        For the first several months, everything is great. I'm enamored with the car. With every passing day I find something that I admire about it even more. After the following few months and many daily commutes later, I still love it. But now the conscious daily recognition of it is no longer there. If I stop and think about it, I’m sure it’s the best still and can justify my purchase of it. However, it does take me a moment or two to come up with what it is exactly that’s so great about it, contrary to when I was first buying it. Back then, the positive remarks came effortlessly and almost subconsciously. The love for it was fresh. However, like with everything else, people start to take things for granted. It’s not anyone’s fault. That’s just how it works. Daily exposure to something makes a person so used to it that the excitement over the things he once lost sleep about, become ordinary due to familiarity. Stepping on the gas pedal results in the same experience you felt thousands of times before in that car. Turn the wheel, and the result is so predictable that you can almost close your eyes and know exactly how much you’re turning. This is exactly what happens in relationships. The girl’s laugh is no longer a trigger for a smile. You’ve heard it so many times that your ears are neutral to it. Her looks may no longer make your eyes sparkle with as much love because you already know exactly what she looks like, smells like, and feels like.
        So, what often happens? The love affair dissipates between both car and girl. A lot of times, irreversibly. Just the other day I was driving and got an overwhelming urge to turn into the next dealership and see what my options were. Lo and behold, inside the showroom was a lime green Ford Fiesta ST, and at that moment, it looked better than my car, and even though I hadn’t even driven it yet, it sounded and drove better in my mind, and this was just 8 months into my BRZ ownership. Maybe one day you’ll get in an argument with your girl and you’ll leave and go out to a bar, and that night you’ll see someone who, because you’re taking your girl for granted, looks better and seems like a better option for the night. The idea of a new experience overwhelms your cognitive ability to reason properly and so you end up chatting her up and taking her number and think about her for the next day or so, while your partner whom you truly fell in love with is by your side, much like test driving a new car while your own noble steed that hasn’t set a foot wrong is sitting out in the parking lot.
        When it’s true love – and that’s what it was when I got my BRZ – I stopped and thought about what it was that caused me to fall in love with it, and most importantly, I went and did what I loved doing with it and the spark between the two of us was reignited. I wiggled myself in the seat mid-drive to really refresh the feel of the seat ergonomics on my body, and guess what, it worked! I was reminded why I loved them. I re-gripped the wheel several times, feeling the leather and red cross-stitching and praised the molding of the grip and size of the wheel. I threw the shifter around, noting the action of the throw as it notched into gear ever so positively, and yelped with joy as it all came together and allowed me to ace the back roads. The same must be done in relationships. Revisit the great things about each other, because they are there, and you’ll have a healthy and long lasting relationship. I didn’t cheat. I only thought about it.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I Love About My Subaru BRZ

             E verything. The End.        No, but really. I love everything about the car. But that’s not the end of it. It doesn’t mean there aren’t certain things which I like more than others. For example, the steering. I love the steering. Everything from the tactual feel of the wheel itself to the feedback I get when I turn it. To me, it feels just right. It doesn’t feel artificially weighted, nor is it one-finger twirlable (yes, that’s a word starting now). I love it more than I love the engine, but it doesn’t mean the engine is bad. It took a bit of time to accept the fact that it has no low-end torque. I’ll never be able to rip through the gears like I used to in my Z28, but use the FA20 boxer engine right, and in the BRZ’s lightweight body, it’s just about acceptable. The fact that it makes all of its power right before redline is exciting. Get it above 5k rpm’s and the car pulls harder and harder until the shift point.        I also love the seats. In Limited spec

Kelley Blue Book - The Antichrist of The Used Car Market

I know, this is just my second post, and instead of being happy and celebrating the many positive sides of the automotive industry, I'm going to start talking about something that has been bothering me for quite a while now. Ever heard of the site Kelley Blue Book? Well it's a f**king awful thing, and it has absolutely ruined the used car market. What has happened to the time when people could buy proper used cars, with low miles, for $1-2,000? Now, with the existence of KBB, people are selling their cars for an extremely high price, just because a stupid website spits out random numbers based off of some algorithms. In addition, these prices are mainly intended for insurance companies, so that in case of an incident, the insurance can know what the damaged cars were worth. Sadly, though, anyone, no matter how small his car knowledge is, can try selling his exhausted and worn out car for an absurdly high price, just because KBB produced some number based on a couple of vague

Those who announce their positive traits rarely possess them

Tap the Instagram icon on your phone screen. Scroll through profiles and see so many of the users self-proclaiming their honesty, genuineness, and humility. You sit there thinking "Wow, what a great time we live in. There are so many good and self-aware people out there!". So many users actively "voicing" their opinions via "liking" and re-"sharing" other's posts relating to immigration rights, anti-political views, LGBTQ rights, police brutality, humility, honesty, the list goes on and on. Now, I'm not a sociologist by profession, but from my observations and through countless personal experiences, I can say with almost certainty that those who display that kind of behavior are in reality the exact opposite. Liking a positive message or disliking a negative one on social media in no way reflects on one's personal actions. Liking an activist's message doesn't make you an activist. Saying you are good doesn't make you good.