Skip to main content

Riding Season is Around the Corner

     Riding season is around the corner, hell, it’s begun, which means one thing. I’m super excited to be able to wake up, gear up, and take my bike out instead of my car, not that I hate my car or anything. It’s just that four grueling months of waiting and waiting for warmer temperatures is enough, and although I’ve gotten a few rides in here and there within that time, they’ve been forgettable and borderline dreary due to the cold. 
         So, what is it that I’m looking forward to the most? A lot of riders look forward to that man and machine bond, or the solidarity and isolation riding provides by disconnecting the rider from their phones and social media, simply because it’s hilariously stupid to attempt using a phone when riding. These are all things that I enjoy and value deeply about riding, but at the time of writing, the one thing I’m anticipating the most is the ability to haul ass past the 99% of cars I come across on a daily basis with a flick of the wrist, and watch as they become increasingly smaller in my rear view mirrors. My BRZ has cost me too much time and frustration trundling alongside or behind inept drivers, simply because I was not able to exploit overtaking opportunities because of its lack of power. With my Fireblade, I think of overtaking, and the ease with which that thought becomes a reality is unbelievable and intoxicating. Cars and traffic (read “danger to me”) are dispatched instantly. Is it a feeling of dominance which I desire and my bike fulfills? Eh, not to my knowledge, and besides, what dominance is there to speak of? My bike and I are a fraction of the size and weight of cars and if anything, us riders live in fear of the four-wheeled vehicles. I love the image, the noise, and the excitement which pumps through me every time I wind open the throttle and surge off into the horizon. Even more simply put, it fills a large void my BRZ leaves me with. The need for speed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Love About My Subaru BRZ

             E verything. The End.        No, but really. I love everything about the car. But that’s not the end of it. It doesn’t mean there aren’t certain things which I like more than others. For example, the steering. I love the steering. Everything from the tactual feel of the wheel itself to the feedback I get when I turn it. To me, it feels just right. It doesn’t feel artificially weighted, nor is it one-finger twirlable (yes, that’s a word starting now). I love it more than I love the engine, but it doesn’t mean the engine is bad. It took a bit of time to accept the fact that it has no low-end torque. I’ll never be able to rip through the gears like I used to in my Z28, but use the FA20 boxer engine right, and in the BRZ’s lightweight body, it’s just about acceptable. The fact that it makes all of its power right before redline is exciting. Get it above 5k rpm’s and the car pulls harder and harder until the shift point.        I also love the seats. In Limited spec

Kelley Blue Book - The Antichrist of The Used Car Market

I know, this is just my second post, and instead of being happy and celebrating the many positive sides of the automotive industry, I'm going to start talking about something that has been bothering me for quite a while now. Ever heard of the site Kelley Blue Book? Well it's a f**king awful thing, and it has absolutely ruined the used car market. What has happened to the time when people could buy proper used cars, with low miles, for $1-2,000? Now, with the existence of KBB, people are selling their cars for an extremely high price, just because a stupid website spits out random numbers based off of some algorithms. In addition, these prices are mainly intended for insurance companies, so that in case of an incident, the insurance can know what the damaged cars were worth. Sadly, though, anyone, no matter how small his car knowledge is, can try selling his exhausted and worn out car for an absurdly high price, just because KBB produced some number based on a couple of vague

Those who announce their positive traits rarely possess them

Tap the Instagram icon on your phone screen. Scroll through profiles and see so many of the users self-proclaiming their honesty, genuineness, and humility. You sit there thinking "Wow, what a great time we live in. There are so many good and self-aware people out there!". So many users actively "voicing" their opinions via "liking" and re-"sharing" other's posts relating to immigration rights, anti-political views, LGBTQ rights, police brutality, humility, honesty, the list goes on and on. Now, I'm not a sociologist by profession, but from my observations and through countless personal experiences, I can say with almost certainty that those who display that kind of behavior are in reality the exact opposite. Liking a positive message or disliking a negative one on social media in no way reflects on one's personal actions. Liking an activist's message doesn't make you an activist. Saying you are good doesn't make you good.