Skip to main content

Speed. The Solution to Multitasking While Driving.



While driving down the road, you glance into your rear view mirror, noticing that the car behind is about to pull into the left lane and perform a passing maneuver. As the car approaches on your left hand side, curiosity causes you to take a look at who is doing the passing, and what you see is disturbing. There is a person in the car, and both of this person’s hands are threaded through the top portion of the steering wheel, holding a cellphone sideways, texting away. You sit there and think, “What the hell is keeping me from beating the daylights out of this person?” At that same moment, you realize that your phone has vibrated several times in the past 30 seconds, and fearful that whoever is trying to contact you may get impatient, you grab at your phone and start texting.

This is the problem with modern day commuters. They all say that texting while driving is an absolute no no, but the majority of them are vast hypocrites. To top it off, I’ve even seen police officers driving with their heads down, texting.

There have been many attempts to eliminate texting while driving. Television commercials show the aftermath of awful car accidents caused by texting. In addition, anti-texting laws have been enacted, punishing those who are caught. But, is it right that the police officer who was texting himself fines us for doing the same? I don’t think so. If you ask me, the best solution to this problem is a five-letter word.

Speed. No, I’m not under its influence as I write this, and I can explain why speed is a plausible cure to texting while driving. Those who maintain speeds in the triple digits and em pee gee's in the single digits will agree that at warp speed, you are automatically more focused. I would like to add that the faster you drive, the more focused you get exponentially. Your eyes, pinned to the road lying ahead, scan incessantly for potential hazards twice as much as usual. You also instinctively grip the steering wheel with both hands, and only after you've started slowing down, is the spike in adrenaline noticed.

Speed makes texting, or any other multitasking, for that matter, impossible mainly because you grip the wheel with both hands to have more control over the car, you have no more hands, I hope, to do anything with. Speed makes you value your life way more because a realization dawns on you, that, at higher speeds, a mistake will have higher consequences. So, you wouldn’t dare attempt to text or do anything other than drive.

This leads me to believe, that, if higher driving speeds were made mandatory, the roads would, on the contrary to everyone’s belief, become safer. Everyone, in fear of losing his or her life, would become focused on one thing, and one thing only, driving. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Love About My Subaru BRZ

             E verything. The End.        No, but really. I love everything about the car. But that’s not the end of it. It doesn’t mean there aren’t certain things which I like more than others. For example, the steering. I love the steering. Everything from the tactual feel of the wheel itself to the feedback I get when I turn it. To me, it feels just right. It doesn’t feel artificially weighted, nor is it one-finger twirlable (yes, that’s a word starting now). I love it more than I love the engine, but it doesn’t mean the engine is bad. It took a bit of time to accept the fact that it has no low-end torque. I’ll never be able to rip through the gears like I used to in my Z28, but use the FA20 boxer engine right, and in the BRZ’s lightweight body, it’s just about acceptable. The fact that it makes all of its power right before redline is exciting. Get it above 5k rpm’s and the car pulls harder and harder until the shift point.        I also love the seats. In Limited spec

Kelley Blue Book - The Antichrist of The Used Car Market

I know, this is just my second post, and instead of being happy and celebrating the many positive sides of the automotive industry, I'm going to start talking about something that has been bothering me for quite a while now. Ever heard of the site Kelley Blue Book? Well it's a f**king awful thing, and it has absolutely ruined the used car market. What has happened to the time when people could buy proper used cars, with low miles, for $1-2,000? Now, with the existence of KBB, people are selling their cars for an extremely high price, just because a stupid website spits out random numbers based off of some algorithms. In addition, these prices are mainly intended for insurance companies, so that in case of an incident, the insurance can know what the damaged cars were worth. Sadly, though, anyone, no matter how small his car knowledge is, can try selling his exhausted and worn out car for an absurdly high price, just because KBB produced some number based on a couple of vague

Those who announce their positive traits rarely possess them

Tap the Instagram icon on your phone screen. Scroll through profiles and see so many of the users self-proclaiming their honesty, genuineness, and humility. You sit there thinking "Wow, what a great time we live in. There are so many good and self-aware people out there!". So many users actively "voicing" their opinions via "liking" and re-"sharing" other's posts relating to immigration rights, anti-political views, LGBTQ rights, police brutality, humility, honesty, the list goes on and on. Now, I'm not a sociologist by profession, but from my observations and through countless personal experiences, I can say with almost certainty that those who display that kind of behavior are in reality the exact opposite. Liking a positive message or disliking a negative one on social media in no way reflects on one's personal actions. Liking an activist's message doesn't make you an activist. Saying you are good doesn't make you good.