Skip to main content

Imperfect Cars Make Car Enthusiasts

        If at the age of 16 I were handed the keys to a Mercedes, I don’t think I would’ve become the car enthusiast I am today. There’s one word to explain why: fiddling. If I had been tossed the keys to a new Mercedes, I would have never had to fix or upgrade anything on the car, and believe it or not, it’s the highs and lows of car ownership which makes it exciting and endearing. With a new Mercedes, there would be no small repairs or upgrades necessary and the only thing I’d ever do with the car is drive it from point A to B, an overall comfortable and stress free experience, yet in the big picture, a sterile one as well.
        On the other hand, the opposite scenario has to be taken into consideration too. If my first car had been a miserable hoopty with a handful of mechanical issues which I couldn’t fix myself, my initial car ownership would’ve undoubtedly left a sour taste in my mouth and left me bankrupt, and then I’d become an environmentally conscious, tree-hugging, bicycle riding hipster living in Philadelphia and my car addiction would’ve been extinguished from age 16. Come to think of it, that probably would’ve been best for my well-being.
        Now, I’m not saying that to feel a bond with a car you need to have a full workshop at your house or even have any mechanical experience. For me, it was the realization that something I did made the car better than what it was before. It started with something small, and, with a lot of the car nuts out there, their obsession too starts with something small. Replacing a broken or missing piece of cosmetic trim in the cabin, or upgrading the radio with a new and modern head unit with Bluetooth/Smartphone connectivity, or if you’re feeling bold and are mechanically inclined, you can dive into the really interesting parts and work on the drivetrain and any of its ancillary components. It’s unlikely, though, that the majority of people fix their used daily driver up to a state in which it has no faults, so, what about the remaining niggles? The little faults that you learn how to cope with are the sources of fond memories. Things like punching the center console as hard as possible to turn the radio back on, or knowing the passenger window can’t be rolled down because it won’t go back up, or having an ignition that’s tumbler is so worn out that the keys can be pulled out once the car is started or the car can be started with anything that fits in the slot (e.g. a spoon). Yes, these are all just a few of the problems I've had with my cars, but you get the point. They aren't the end of the world and don’t effect the usability of the car, and even though they are very annoying, they give the car character and humans are attracted to things that have character. This is why we end up loving cars. Like I’m doing so right now, one day you will look back at all of the issues your car's had and laugh and most likely come to a conclusion that yes, each one was a righteous pain in the ass at the time, but they added charm and appeal and when the day came to sell your car and you saw the new owner drive away, you couldn't help but get a little misty eyed. That car was your baby and you knew it better than anyone ever will.
Exhibit A. Here's one of my most beloved cars, and it was undoubtedly a hoopty. Looking back, I can't believe the tint on my rose colored glasses was so red that I pulled the trigger and bought it for $5500. Love is blind.
        New cars are great, but think if everyone had a new car. Things would be a little boring, wouldn’t they? If nothing else, it’s the presence of older used cars which make the new cars feel new and the owner’s feel special. If everyone kept getting the current model year cars every year, I assure you the level of satisfaction of driving off with a showroom fresh car would not be the same. Most of us desire to be different and stand out in some way, and that brings up the topic of customization, but I’ll save that for a different article. For now, allow me to leave you with a parting piece of advice. Be grateful for the used turd-mobiles you’ve owned in the past and keep seeing on the roads. I know I am, because they’ve been the kindling for my fiery passion for cars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Love About My Subaru BRZ

             E verything. The End.        No, but really. I love everything about the car. But that’s not the end of it. It doesn’t mean there aren’t certain things which I like more than others. For example, the steering. I love the steering. Everything from the tactual feel of the wheel itself to the feedback I get when I turn it. To me, it feels just right. It doesn’t feel artificially weighted, nor is it one-finger twirlable (yes, that’s a word starting now). I love it more than I love the engine, but it doesn’t mean the engine is bad. It took a bit of time to accept the fact that it has no low-end torque. I’ll never be able to rip through the gears like I used to in my Z28, but use the FA20 boxer engine right, and in the BRZ’s lightweight body, it’s just about acceptable. The fact that it makes all of its power right before redline is exciting. Get it above 5k rpm’s and the car pulls harder and harder until the shift point.        I also love the seats. In Limited spec

Kelley Blue Book - The Antichrist of The Used Car Market

I know, this is just my second post, and instead of being happy and celebrating the many positive sides of the automotive industry, I'm going to start talking about something that has been bothering me for quite a while now. Ever heard of the site Kelley Blue Book? Well it's a f**king awful thing, and it has absolutely ruined the used car market. What has happened to the time when people could buy proper used cars, with low miles, for $1-2,000? Now, with the existence of KBB, people are selling their cars for an extremely high price, just because a stupid website spits out random numbers based off of some algorithms. In addition, these prices are mainly intended for insurance companies, so that in case of an incident, the insurance can know what the damaged cars were worth. Sadly, though, anyone, no matter how small his car knowledge is, can try selling his exhausted and worn out car for an absurdly high price, just because KBB produced some number based on a couple of vague

Those who announce their positive traits rarely possess them

Tap the Instagram icon on your phone screen. Scroll through profiles and see so many of the users self-proclaiming their honesty, genuineness, and humility. You sit there thinking "Wow, what a great time we live in. There are so many good and self-aware people out there!". So many users actively "voicing" their opinions via "liking" and re-"sharing" other's posts relating to immigration rights, anti-political views, LGBTQ rights, police brutality, humility, honesty, the list goes on and on. Now, I'm not a sociologist by profession, but from my observations and through countless personal experiences, I can say with almost certainty that those who display that kind of behavior are in reality the exact opposite. Liking a positive message or disliking a negative one on social media in no way reflects on one's personal actions. Liking an activist's message doesn't make you an activist. Saying you are good doesn't make you good.