Skip to main content

I've Had 5 Kids

     What’s it like to have kids? Well, I think the only people – aside from parents – that come close to knowing are car enthusiasts. The other day, I sold my 2000 Camaro z28 with which I had forged many wonderful memories. Just like parents who wave their son goodbye as he departs to live alone at college and continue waving until all visual contact is lost, I watched my Camaro get loaded onto the trailer and stood there with a mellow face until the diesel truck rounded the final bend in my neighborhood, pulling the Camaro with it out of sight. With slow, diligent steps, I glumly walked down my driveway and started talking to my family of how I’d miss it, and recalled my favorite memories with the car, like when I’d rip through the gears on the highway, or slide the tail out in turns with every opportunity I got. Or, how, during the 10 months of my ownership, I fixed up many things on the car, making it a much better one than what it was under the previous – I kid you not – coke-head’s ownership. A piece of interior trim here and there, some new wheels, radio, and kept it sparkling clean. So, I had watched and helped make this car into something much better, just like a parent raises a child, and watches the child flourish and grow over the years.
     Is it wrong that I’m comparing a car to a son? Many people would say yes. But believe me, the similarities are there. All the cars that I’ve owned and have actually enjoyed, I would love to see again one day, just to see what shape they are in, much like parents long to see their child if they’ve been away. And just as well as parents can recognize their child amongst hundreds of people, I could recognize my once cherished car almost immediately, unless it’s been altered drastically. The orange-painted hood scoop slits on my Subaru RS, the fixed up rust spots, the poorly matched front fender on my Camaro, I knew all of the imperfections of all of my cars, and those little things make a car so distinguishable amongst their owners. These faults are comparable to a person’s facial features, things that make an individual unique and easily identifiable.
     Which brings me to my next point. There’s something special about owning older cars. Not classics or collectables, but cars that are 5 or more years old. If everyone drove brand new, off-the-showroom-floor cars, then even I would have trouble discerning my car from the rest. Until, of course, people started damaging theirs and what not. However, with older cars, you know each and every one of your car’s foibles, and that is what gives a car character. And when it has character, you assimilate it to having a soul. And, like Sir William Lyons – the founder of Jaguar – said, “The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive”. In essence, a car’s imperfections trick us into thinking it has soul, and because we spend so much time with them and encounter such a vast array of experiences with them (some wonderful, and some not), we really can’t help but become attached to that piece of metal that sits and stays where we put it (even in the harshest of conditions), without moving, more loyally than a dog. And when it’s time to jump in it and use it, it (almost) always fires right up and takes you where you need to go, or provides the fun you seek. 
     Which is why when the time comes to sell the car which has served you so valiantly, unless it’s been a complete nightmare to own and has done nothing worthy under your ownership, you are left reminiscing about it. Hell, maybe it’s even harder to say bye to a car than it is to your son or daughter, because at least you know your kid will come visit you again. But a car? They won’t come back to you. Those bastards, they never gave two shits about you! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Love About My Subaru BRZ

             E verything. The End.        No, but really. I love everything about the car. But that’s not the end of it. It doesn’t mean there aren’t certain things which I like more than others. For example, the steering. I love the steering. Everything from the tactual feel of the wheel itself to the feedback I get when I turn it. To me, it feels just right. It doesn’t feel artificially weighted, nor is it one-finger twirlable (yes, that’s a word starting now). I love it more than I love the engine, but it doesn’t mean the engine is bad. It took a bit of time to accept the fact that it has no low-end torque. I’ll never be able to rip through the gears like I used to in my Z28, but use the FA20 boxer engine right, and in the BRZ’s lightweight body, it’s just about acceptable. The fact that it makes all of its power right before redline is exciting. Get it above 5k rpm’s and the car pulls harder and harder until the shift point.        I also love the seats. In Limited spec

Kelley Blue Book - The Antichrist of The Used Car Market

I know, this is just my second post, and instead of being happy and celebrating the many positive sides of the automotive industry, I'm going to start talking about something that has been bothering me for quite a while now. Ever heard of the site Kelley Blue Book? Well it's a f**king awful thing, and it has absolutely ruined the used car market. What has happened to the time when people could buy proper used cars, with low miles, for $1-2,000? Now, with the existence of KBB, people are selling their cars for an extremely high price, just because a stupid website spits out random numbers based off of some algorithms. In addition, these prices are mainly intended for insurance companies, so that in case of an incident, the insurance can know what the damaged cars were worth. Sadly, though, anyone, no matter how small his car knowledge is, can try selling his exhausted and worn out car for an absurdly high price, just because KBB produced some number based on a couple of vague

Those who announce their positive traits rarely possess them

Tap the Instagram icon on your phone screen. Scroll through profiles and see so many of the users self-proclaiming their honesty, genuineness, and humility. You sit there thinking "Wow, what a great time we live in. There are so many good and self-aware people out there!". So many users actively "voicing" their opinions via "liking" and re-"sharing" other's posts relating to immigration rights, anti-political views, LGBTQ rights, police brutality, humility, honesty, the list goes on and on. Now, I'm not a sociologist by profession, but from my observations and through countless personal experiences, I can say with almost certainty that those who display that kind of behavior are in reality the exact opposite. Liking a positive message or disliking a negative one on social media in no way reflects on one's personal actions. Liking an activist's message doesn't make you an activist. Saying you are good doesn't make you good.