Skip to main content

6'4 and Economy

   
 I sit here typing inside of a flying plane. This is THE ultimate test for diagnosing if I really have ADHD or not. How many distractions are there? Well, there's the incessant whirr of the ginormous turbine engine which is spinning at an ungodly rpm, approximately two feet from my head. There is also the child who is sitting behind me, who, for some unknown reason, finds it necessary to press his knees into the back of my seat every thirty seconds. Oh, and there is the simple fact that I am 6'4”, sitting in the window seat of economy class, with two fellow passengers who - much to my misfortune - appear to have missed an activity called sleeping for an unknown number of days, as they have fallen fast asleep within twenty seconds of the plane taking off. So, the odds of me ever getting the opportunity to get up and stretch my legs is looking unlikely at best. I am also fairly confident in saying that the further back the passengers are hoarded into a plane, the less leg room they get. It's times like these that I wish I were shorter. God knows how many times I have tried to imagine how much more comfortable shorter people are when flying in economy class. At this moment, not only am I wishing for first class, but my body requires it.
     My thoughts are all over the place. “I swear, the flight attendants have been standing in the same place for over 30 minutes handing out beverages. When will they get back here?!”, to “why did I have to get a fellow passenger who has whipped out an entire Indian feast next to me in a plastic bag?” This is a complain of mine because, let's be honest, we all know exactly how Indian food smells, and, for a moment, let's be honest again. No one wants to be smelling something so pungent for such extended periods of times in such close quarters.
     New complaint. The passenger in front of me has decided to recline his seat entirely. My legs are feeling the full consequences of this, as the already restrained trickle of blood that was previously flowing to my legs has now been completely severed off. The front passengers decision to sleep has also had a dire effect on my typing ability. My laptop screen now forms an acute angle with the keyboard, I'd say around forty degrees. This has caused me to pull the laptop even nearer to me, to prevent the screen from collapsing onto my fingers. My current typing position is sure to induce carpel tunnel in my left wrist, as it is curled up at an absurd angle. Think of it as a pianist who really overdoes the correct, alleviated wrist position.
     Seriously though, the observation I made earlier about the flight attendants not getting any closer is becoming more alarming with each passing minute. It's exactly like the knight who is riding to the castle in Monte Python and the Holy Grail. He appears to be in full stride on his horse, but each time the castle watchman looks at the knight, he appears to be in exactly the same place. I marvel at this situation for five whole minutes, until I finally notice them progress one inch closer to me.
     My thoughts stray far far away as I type this. If I were keeping tally of what subject my mind wanders to most often, though, my car situation would undoubtedly be on top of the list. I know, it's only been a few hours since I last saw my RS, but the thought of not being able to drive it for the next two weeks is what bothers me. Fourteen. Whole. Days. This will be as excruciatingly painful as the withdrawal period for a heroin addict. Plus, I'm on my way to California. The land of Subaru. The West Coast. The place where Subarus can prowl the streets without the worry of ever getting rusty and neglected by their owners. Every single day I will be reminded of my Subie, and I know I will spend many moments wistfully thinking about it as I see – and hear – other people driving their Imprezas.
     If someone knew my current situation, they may be surprised to hear that I will indeed be missing my RS, because I am in fact selling the car after just nine months of ownership. This is not the car's fault, it's mine. I have a condition where I cannot keep a single car for longer than a year, at most. It's a condition which is currently being researched by many medical companies in order to find a cure, as it can have quite serious consequences on the victim's social and personal life. I, for one, have often withdrawn from family events because I've been either browsing for a new car, or trying to sell mine. I've also noticed a worrying amount of gray hair on my head for my age, and I like to blame it on car-related stress, not the fact that it's most likely linked to my genetics...
     So, I sit here in this plane, kneecaps pressed into the front seat, my legs and feet undoubtedly some hue of blackish-blue from lack of blood circulation, my bum so numb that it doesn't even hurt anymore, and fearful that my left wrist will be permanently stuck in its current, mangled position. But, there is glimmer of hope. The “fasten seat-belt” sign has illuminated, and the stewardess's have announced that we will be landing in approximately twenty minutes. Remember the Indian guy sitting next to me who I wasn't too fond of because of his food? Well, turns out he's a damn good guy and we talk about a lot of things. He recommends I take the drive to Lake Tahoe from San Francisco, saying it is one I won't ever forget. The plane lands and I look out the window and see beautiful mountains in the distance, and just by looking through the plane's peephole of a window, I can tell that the weather is splendid. All of a sudden, all of my niggles vanish and I smile, realizing what amazing times await ahead of me in the next fourteen days. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Love About My Subaru BRZ

             E verything. The End.        No, but really. I love everything about the car. But that’s not the end of it. It doesn’t mean there aren’t certain things which I like more than others. For example, the steering. I love the steering. Everything from the tactual feel of the wheel itself to the feedback I get when I turn it. To me, it feels just right. It doesn’t feel artificially weighted, nor is it one-finger twirlable (yes, that’s a word starting now). I love it more than I love the engine, but it doesn’t mean the engine is bad. It took a bit of time to accept the fact that it has no low-end torque. I’ll never be able to rip through the gears like I used to in my Z28, but use the FA20 boxer engine right, and in the BRZ’s lightweight body, it’s just about acceptable. The fact that it makes all of its power right before redline is exciting. Get it above 5k rpm’s and the car pulls harder and harder until the shift point.        I also love the seats. In Limited spec

Kelley Blue Book - The Antichrist of The Used Car Market

I know, this is just my second post, and instead of being happy and celebrating the many positive sides of the automotive industry, I'm going to start talking about something that has been bothering me for quite a while now. Ever heard of the site Kelley Blue Book? Well it's a f**king awful thing, and it has absolutely ruined the used car market. What has happened to the time when people could buy proper used cars, with low miles, for $1-2,000? Now, with the existence of KBB, people are selling their cars for an extremely high price, just because a stupid website spits out random numbers based off of some algorithms. In addition, these prices are mainly intended for insurance companies, so that in case of an incident, the insurance can know what the damaged cars were worth. Sadly, though, anyone, no matter how small his car knowledge is, can try selling his exhausted and worn out car for an absurdly high price, just because KBB produced some number based on a couple of vague

Those who announce their positive traits rarely possess them

Tap the Instagram icon on your phone screen. Scroll through profiles and see so many of the users self-proclaiming their honesty, genuineness, and humility. You sit there thinking "Wow, what a great time we live in. There are so many good and self-aware people out there!". So many users actively "voicing" their opinions via "liking" and re-"sharing" other's posts relating to immigration rights, anti-political views, LGBTQ rights, police brutality, humility, honesty, the list goes on and on. Now, I'm not a sociologist by profession, but from my observations and through countless personal experiences, I can say with almost certainty that those who display that kind of behavior are in reality the exact opposite. Liking a positive message or disliking a negative one on social media in no way reflects on one's personal actions. Liking an activist's message doesn't make you an activist. Saying you are good doesn't make you good.