Skip to main content

Lies - It's What Makes a Subaru, a Subaru




       From a 1995 Mustang GT Convertible to a 1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Coupe is quite a leap. The former is a wallowing, unrefined, primitive, ugly, heavy machine. The latter, a handsome, nimble, lightweight, taught, true example of what a sports car should be. This leap is one I made 5 months ago today, but surprisingly, it hasn't all been a love-story.
       First, let me start off by saying that there is no purpose in owning a sports car if one is not able to drive it in a sporty manner, whether it is due to the driver's incompetence, or the reliability of the car. Fortunately, I am a very competent driver, but unfortunately, my Impreza 2.5 RS has been extremely unreliable. This surprises me, because throughout my life, all I have ever heard about Subaru's is that they are extremely dependable, and can virtually out-last any other car on the road.
       What a load of bullshit. Becoming an owner of a Subaru has given me the opportunity to unlock the treasure chest of secretly kept complaints and problems (via online forums) amongst people who own their beloved “Subies”. Let me make a short (but actually quite lengthy) list of all of the mishaps a Subaru owner is bound to encounter: Bad head-gaskets, ruined wheel bearings and hubs, bad head-gaskets, problems with the center differential, bad head-gaskets, rattly interior, bad head gaskets, and the list goes on an on... you get my point.
       Much to my annoyance, I have come across one-too-many people who say, “If you drive your Subaru normally, with only regular oil maintenance, it'll last forever.” What this accurately translates to is, “If you drive your Subaru like an 85-year-old woman, whilst ignoring all of the problems it has going on, the car will function and drive you from point A to B, albeit very crappily, noisily, and slowly.
       I'm sorry, but I see absolutely no point in owning any car – let alone a sports car – which the driver must compromise with and accept the fact that he has to drive his car as if it were on its last legs for the majority of the time.
       This is exactly what I have had to do with my Impreza 2.5 RS, and it has been a very depressing ownership experience. Every time I sit in the car, I feel that in spirit, it is like a little dog, eager to go out and play tirelessly. But the second I turn the key, I remember that I have to “baby” - or rather “grandma” – the car from one place to another, keeping one eye incessantly on the rev limiter to make sure the revs stay under 3 grand, fearing that if they stray over, my engine will melt. It's a terrible irony; it feels like a true sports car to drive, yet I have to operate it as slowly and delicately as I would a bulldozer in a china shop.
       Speaking of irony, compromise is something I never had to do with my Mustang. All of that “found on the road dead” malarkey never once applied to my car, except the one time when the clutch blew out on Christmas day, in the snow, on the highway...but luckily within half a mile from my house. All I ever did was get in it and drive it like it was meant to be driven. I'm not saying that my '95 hideously ugly Ford Mustang was a better car than the gorgeous '99 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Coupe, but in a way, it sort of just was, because it actually worked properly.
       The past 5 months have been a learning experience. I have learned that I will never again purchase a used Subaru, and I will warn everyone of the many pitfalls to watch out for religiously, as if it were a paying job. I have also learned that AWD cars are extremely boring, and my next - and every other car from now on - will be RWD, just like the good ol' days with my Mustang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Love About My Subaru BRZ

             E verything. The End.        No, but really. I love everything about the car. But that’s not the end of it. It doesn’t mean there aren’t certain things which I like more than others. For example, the steering. I love the steering. Everything from the tactual feel of the wheel itself to the feedback I get when I turn it. To me, it feels just right. It doesn’t feel artificially weighted, nor is it one-finger twirlable (yes, that’s a word starting now). I love it more than I love the engine, but it doesn’t mean the engine is bad. It took a bit of time to accept the fact that it has no low-end torque. I’ll never be able to rip through the gears like I used to in my Z28, but use the FA20 boxer engine right, and in the BRZ’s lightweight body, it’s just about acceptable. The fact that it makes all of its power right before redline is exciting. Get it above 5k rpm’s and the car pulls harder and harder until the shift point.        I also love the seats. In Limited spec

Kelley Blue Book - The Antichrist of The Used Car Market

I know, this is just my second post, and instead of being happy and celebrating the many positive sides of the automotive industry, I'm going to start talking about something that has been bothering me for quite a while now. Ever heard of the site Kelley Blue Book? Well it's a f**king awful thing, and it has absolutely ruined the used car market. What has happened to the time when people could buy proper used cars, with low miles, for $1-2,000? Now, with the existence of KBB, people are selling their cars for an extremely high price, just because a stupid website spits out random numbers based off of some algorithms. In addition, these prices are mainly intended for insurance companies, so that in case of an incident, the insurance can know what the damaged cars were worth. Sadly, though, anyone, no matter how small his car knowledge is, can try selling his exhausted and worn out car for an absurdly high price, just because KBB produced some number based on a couple of vague

Those who announce their positive traits rarely possess them

Tap the Instagram icon on your phone screen. Scroll through profiles and see so many of the users self-proclaiming their honesty, genuineness, and humility. You sit there thinking "Wow, what a great time we live in. There are so many good and self-aware people out there!". So many users actively "voicing" their opinions via "liking" and re-"sharing" other's posts relating to immigration rights, anti-political views, LGBTQ rights, police brutality, humility, honesty, the list goes on and on. Now, I'm not a sociologist by profession, but from my observations and through countless personal experiences, I can say with almost certainty that those who display that kind of behavior are in reality the exact opposite. Liking a positive message or disliking a negative one on social media in no way reflects on one's personal actions. Liking an activist's message doesn't make you an activist. Saying you are good doesn't make you good.